50th Anniversary of Island Harbour Commissioning
In February 2011 the Company celebrated the 50th anniversary of the official opening of the Bluff Island Harbour. This remarkable 1950’s engineering project turned a barely visible sandbank in the Bluff Harbour into 8 berths and 40 hectares of modern port infrastructure.
The construction of the current form of the Island Harbour was completed in two stages and if the total development cost is converted into today’s dollars then it would equate to an estimated $255 million of capital. The Company, its customers and the people of the region are extremely fortunate that they will continue to enjoy the value created through the establishment of the Island Harbour. In relation to this development the foresight, tenacity and hard work of previous Southland generations should be acknowledged.The History of South Port