Marine Plant & Equipment
Pilot Vessel - Takitimu II
This is a 16.5m LOA aluminium vessel, with an orange wheelhouse roof and the word “PILOT” visible on the side of the wheelhouse. The Pilot vessel is fitted with radar, AIS and VHF. Call sign is “Bluff Pilot” on Channel 16.
Pilots embark on pilot ladders in accordance with the New Zealand Pilot Ladder Regulations. (Accommodation ladders will not be used.)
The foot of the ladder should be no lower than 2 metres from the water. A boat rope is not required. The ladder is to be rigged on the side of the vessel as advised by the pilot prior to boarding, and the vessel must be making way through the water at a maximum of 8 -10 knots, not stopped or at anchor.
The VHF radio call sign is “Bluff Harbour Radio” calling Channel 16. There is a continuous listening watch on Channels 14 and 16.
Rail Access: Island Harbour Berth 4 has rail access. There is no rail at Tiwai Wharf or Town Wharf.
Road Access: Road access is available to all berths except where danger exists (e.g. petroleum discharge, dangerous cargoes etc.)
Access to all berths is for authorised personnel only and 24 hour security is maintained from watch house.
Petrol and fuel oil tankers discharge at Berth 11 and bitumen at Berth 12, both located on the Town Wharf. Midship connections only are used.
Heavy fuel oil for New Zealand Aluminium Smelters discharge point is on Tiwai Wharf using midship connection.
Tallow and other bulk liquids discharge at Berth 3A via Island Harbour installation.
Road bunkering is available at the Island Harbour berths only.
Vessels wishing to bunker or transfer oil must obtain permission from South Port before commencing the operation.
Fresh water is available on all berths. Hoses are available from South Port.
Waste containers are supplied for galley waste only. This is collected daily, weighed and charged to the vessel. Please contact the local agent regarding the per kilo charge. Disposal of other waste, e.g. bottles, cans or engine room waste is the vessel’s responsibility.
Vessels are to use their own moorings throughout the port, all wharves being free of surge. Shore moorings are available at Berth 8 for large freeboard vessels (wood chip vessels).
Survey and Repairs
Repairs and survey work on main engines is permitted after approval from South Port. Shore engineering services are available. Representatives to the major classification societies are also available for survey examinations.
Syncrolift Dry Dock
South Port has a Syncrolift situated on the Island Harbour.
The main dimensions of its lifting platform are:
Length: 40.26 m
Beam: 13.4 m
Draught: 6.0 m
Displacement Capacity: 1050 tonnes
Dry dock sheds are available for repairs, blasting and painting.
Two Voith tractor tugs are available for harbour towage, fire fighting and salvage operations. For normal towage the tugs use their own tow lines.
- LOA 30.5m, Beam 11m, Draught 4.15m.
- Gross Tonnage 320 tonnes.
- Bollard Pull 40 tonnes.
- Engines 2 x Caterpillar 3606 1440kW each 2 x Voith-Schneider directional propellors
- Tank capacity 140,000lts 830 hrs.
- LOA 32m, beam 9.56m, draught 4.75m.
- Displacement 495 tonnes. Fuel 110 tonnes. Range 550 hours, 5,500 miles free running or 3,000 towing.
- Bollard Pull 30 tonnes. Speed 12 knots.
- Main engines 2 x 6 cyl. Ruston Paxman 1000 kW each propulsion units, 2 Voith directional propellers.
- Salvage suction and induction pumps, radar, VHF radio telephone, multi channel echo sounder.
- LOA 30.52m, beam 11m, draught 3.48m.
- Displacement 471 tonnes (581 Towing). Fuel capacity 144,750 litres. Range 630 hours, 5,660 miles free running or 3,620 towing.
- Bollard Pull 35 tonnes. Speed 12 knots.
- Main engines 2 x Mirrlees Blackstone E8MKII, 1320 kW each propulsion units. 2 Voith directional propellers. 2 fire monitors with foam branches.
- Salvage suction and induction pumps. Radar. VHF radio telephone multi channel.
The port also has one work-boat/small tug.
- LOA. 11.38 m, beam 4.05m.
- Bollard Pull 4 tonnes. Speed 10 knots.
- Main engine 8 cyl Detroit Diesel 172kW.
- VHF radio telephone multi channel.